Washington Redskins 2012 Schedule Analysis
The Athlon staff breaks down each and every schedule for the 2012 NFL season.
By: Braden Gall | 6/14/12, 6:05 AM EDT
Scheduling plays a huge role in the outcome of every NFL season. So the Athlon NFL editors will spend the next month dissecting each and every week of the 2012 slate for all 32 teams in the league.
Washington Redskins 2012 Schedule:
Week 1: at New Orleans
Week 2: at St. Louis
Week 3: Cincinnati
Week 4: at Tampa Bay
Week 5: Atlanta
Week 6: Minnesota
Week 7: at New York Giants
Week 8: at Pittsburgh
Week 9: Carolina
Week 10: BYE
Week 11: Philadelphia
Week 12: at Dallas (Thur.)
Week 13: New York Giants (Mon.)
Week 14: Baltimore
Week 15: at Cleveland
Week 16: at Philadelphia
Week 17: Dallas
- Starting the season on the road against (what should be) Drew Brees and the Saints will be tough for the rebuilding, rookie-led Redskins. But a closer look at the defenses reveals the first six contests could be manageable for Robert Griffin III. No, I am not calling for wins, but only the Bengals should provide any sort of defensive resistance in the first six weeks.
- Hopefully those first six games will get RG3 enough experience, because Week 6 and 7 provide two of the nastiest road trips in football. Back-to-back visits to the defending champs and Pittsburgh will make for a rude awakening.
- Following the bye week (Week 10), the Skins will enter the toughest four-game stretch of the year. This is good news because of the timing of the off-week. However, facing the Eagles then Dallas four days later on the road before hosting the Giants and Ravens in consecutive weeks is about as brutal a run as there is in the league. Both the rival Cowboys and Giants will come on primetime slots on Thursday and Monday respectively.
- Playing in the East was going to be tough for Washington regardless of how the opponents are scheduled. But the NFL did them no favors as five of the final seven games will come within the NFC East. Aside from the trip north to face the defending Super Bow Champs in Week 7, most of the East will be determined in the final month and a half. Three straight divisional games (Week 11 to Week 13) will be tough enough with the regional rival Ravens looming in Week 14. Then the season wraps-up with back-to-back divisional games: at Phily and Dallas at home.
- Facing the AFC North this year will hurt the Skins' case for improvement as it could be the toughest division in the AFC this season. A road trip to the Steel City will be nasty and a late season trip to Cleveland is winnable but could be filled with weather concerns (in Week 15). Hosting Baltimore on the Parkway will be fun for fans — until they look at the scoreboard. Hosting Cincinnati in Week 3 will be a huge indicator of Mike Shanahan’s current level of development. Should they beat the Bengals, a playoff team from last year, fans will have a reason to be optimistic in 2012.
- Within the NFC, Washington will face the NFC South, all of which will take place before the bye week on Week 10. The season opens with a trip to NOLA before a Week 4 visit to the New Sombrero in Tampa. A tough match-up with Matt Ryan and Atlanta in Week 5 and an equally intriguing Cam Newton-Robert Griffin III showdown against Carolina (Week 9) gives the Redskins four NFC South games in their first nine contests.
- The two floating games for 2012 will be a blessing for Hog Heads everywhere. A road trip to St. Louis in Week 2 and a home game against Minnesota in Week 6 offer up two great chances for wins this fall. If the Skins want to improve in 2012, wins over the Vikes and Rams will be imperative.
Fantasy Focus: Despite the difficulty of predicting Shanahan’s workload tendencies, Redskins’ offensive players should face few speed bumps in the first six weeks of the season. The Bengals offer the toughest defense over that span, so sell your Skins high before they hit the Pittsburgh, NY Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, Ravens run of mid-to-late season.
- by Braden Gall
Order your 2012 Washington Redskins Athlon Sports NFL Preview magazine
2012 Athlon Sports NFL team-by-team schedule analysis:
Most Popular Articles
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get the latest news and find out what our Athlon Sports experts have to say each week.
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.