New York Jets 2012 Schedule Analysis
The Athlon staff breaks down each and every schedule for the 2012 NFL season.
By: Athlon Sports | 6/7/12, 6:05 AM EDT
Scheduling plays a huge role in the outcome of every NFL season. So the Athlon NFL editors will spend the next month dissecting each and every week of the 2012 slate for all 32 teams in the league.
New York Jets 2012 Schedule:
Week 1: Buffalo
Week 2: at Pittsburgh
Week 3: at Miami
Week 4: San Francisco
Week 5: Houston (Mon.)
Week 6: Indianapolis
Week 7: at New England
Week 8: Miami
Week 9: BYE
Week 10: at Seattle
Week 11: at St. Louis
Week 12: New England (Thurs.)
Week 13: Arizona
Week 14: at Jacksonville
Week 15: at Tennessee (Mon.)
Week 16: San Diego
Week 17: at Buffalo
Order your 2012 New York Jets Athlon Sports NFL Preview magazine
- New York opens and finishes its 2012 schedule against AFC East rival Buffalo this year. The Bills come to the Big Apple in Week 1, while the Jets get to play at Ralph Wilson Stadium on the second-to-last day of December to end their regular season.
- New York's schedule is spilt exactly in half as the bye comes in Week 9. The first half of the slate has the Jets playing five at home and three on the road, while the last eight reverses that home-away split.
- The Jets play the AFC South and NFC West in 2012, but only have to make one extremely long road trip for this part of their schedule. San Francisco (Week 4) and Arizona (Week 13) are at home, meaning the Jets only have to go out west once to Seattle (Week 10) since St. Louis (Week 11) is located in the Midwest, geographically speaking
- Oustide of a Week 5 Monday night date with Houston, getting the AFC South should present the Jets with a possibility of three wins, provided they take care of business against the rebuilding Colts and Jaguars and an improving Titans team. Regardless of whether new Jet Tim Tebow is the starting quarterback by then, the Week 14 game in Jacksonville figures to present the Jaguars with one of their best shots at a sellout in 2012 as the local legend returns home.
- The Jets play four of their six AFC East games in the first half, with a Week 12 Thursday night date in New England and the season finale in Buffalo the only divisional games among their last eight.
- New York didn't get any breaks with its two floating games — at Pittsburgh in Week 2 and versus San Diego in Week 16 — other than being spared another cross-country trip. This looms even larger considering the Jets play the Chargers on the heels of their Week 15 Monday night game in Nashville, Tenn., against the Titans.
- Overall the Jets' schedule seems manageable as they only have to face four playoff teams from last year, and other than their second game against New England in Week 12, these four games occur in the first seven weeks of the season. Staying away from making any future Super Bowl guarantees is a wise move on the part of Jets head coach Rex Ryan, but a playoff berth appears to be a reasonable expectation for the 2012 season.
Fantasy Focus: New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano has said he fully intends to return the Jets to its "ground and pound" ways of being a run-oriented offense. While that may seem like good news for running back Shonn Greene, who rushed for a career high 1,054 yards last season, a closer look at the Jets' 2012 opponents should at the very least temper any excitement. Greene and the Jets will face four of the five stingiest defenses in terms of fantasy points allowed to running backs in 2011. San Francisco was No. 1 last season, followed by Houston and Pittsburgh with AFC East foe Miami coming in fifth. What's more, San Diego, Jacksonville and Arizona were ranked Nos. 9-11 in this same category.
— by Mark Ross, published on June 6, 2012
2012 Athlon Sports NFL team-by-team schedule analysis:
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
Most Popular Articles
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get the latest news and find out what our Athlon Sports experts have to say each week.
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.