Carolina Panthers 2012 Schedule Analysis
The Athlon staff breaks down each and every schedule for the 2012 NFL season.
By: Athlon Sports | 6/19/12, 6:02 AM EDT
Scheduling plays a huge role in the outcome of every NFL season. So the Athlon NFL editors will spend the next month dissecting each and every week of the 2012 slate for all 32 teams in the league.
Carolina Panthers 2012 Schedule:
Week 1: at Tampa Bay
Week 2: New Orleans
Week 3: New York Giants (Thurs.)
Week 4: at Atlanta
Week 5: Seattle
Week 6: BYE
Week 7: Dallas
Week 8: at Chicago
Week 9: at Washington
Week 10: Denver
Week 11: Tampa Bay
Week 12: at Philadelphia (Mon.)
Week 13: at Kansas City
Week 14: Atlanta
Week 15: at San Diego
Week 16: Oakland
Week 17: at New Orleans
Order your 2012 Carolina Panthers Athlon Sports NFL Preview magazine
- Carolina opens its 2012 season with back-to-back divisional games - at Tampa Bay and home to New Orleans. All told, the Panthers play three divisional games among its first four and then doesn't play another until Week 11. Getting off to a good start in divisional play would go a long ways towards setting the tone for the season as a whole.
- The Panthers play the NFC East and AFC West as their cross-divisional opponents this season. This means a visit from the defending Super Bowl champs in Week 3, a Thursday night showcase that offers the Panthers a chance to shine at home. The pairing with the East also sets up a tantalizing Week 9 match up in Washington, which will pit the past two Heisman Trophy winners - Cam Newton and Robert Griffin III - against one another. As far as the games against the AFC West go, there's the Week 10 visit from Denver, which is led by former Carolina head coach John Fox and new quarterback Peyton Manning.
- Carolina's two floating games are against Seattle and at Chicago. The home game against the Seahawks is the week prior to the Panthers' bye in Week 6. The week off will give the team the chance to prepare for a difficult four-game stretch, one that begins with a home date versus Dallas. After that it's consecutive road contests in Chicago and Washington before coming back home to host the Broncos.
- It's fitting the Panthers' Week 12 game in Philadelphia is on Monday night. It offers a primetime slot for what could be, barring injury, a quarterback showcase featuring Newton and the Eagles' Michael Vick. Both have similar styles in that they are capable of making the big play anywhere on the field with either their arm or legs.
- Carolina will play more games against AFC West foes (three) than its own division (two) in the final five weeks of the season. The Panthers go to Kansas City in Week 13 and will also make the trip cross country to face San Diego in Week 15. Those road contests are sandwiched by a home game against Atlanta. The Panthers host Oakland in Week 16 before ending the season in New Orleans against the Saints.
Fantasy Focus: Quarterback Cam Newton had 14 rushing touchdowns last season, the most of any quarterback in a season in NFL history. The team has said it wants to limit the second-year signal-caller's rushing attempts in 2012, especially in the red zone and around the goal line, to limit the number of hits he takes. To that end, the Panthers added former San Diego running back Mike Tolbert to a backfield that already includes Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams. Even though there are several mouths to feed, if Carolina sticks to the running game and follows through on limiting Newton's rushes, there should be plenty of opportunities for all three running backs to provide fantasy value this season. Looking at the Panthers' 2012 schedule, they play seven teams that finished in the top 16 in terms of fantasy points allowed to running backs in 2011. Tampa Bay, who Carolina plays twice, allowed the most of any team last season, and fellow NFC South rival New Orleans ranked eighth. Philadelphia (9th-most), Kansas City (10th), Oakland (11th), the Giants (12th) and Denver (16th) also are on Carolina's schedule this season and finished in the top half of this category in 2011.
— by Mark Ross, published on June 19, 2012
2012 Athlon Sports NFL team-by-team schedule analysis:
Most Popular Articles
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get the latest news and find out what our Athlon Sports experts have to say each week.
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.