Baltimore Ravens 2012 Schedule Analysis
The Athlon staff breaks down each and every schedule for the 2012 NFL season.
By: Braden Gall | 6/5/12, 3:05 AM EDT
Scheduling plays a huge role in the outcome of every NFL season. So the Athlon NFL editors will spend the next month dissecting each and every week of the 2012 slate for all 32 teams in the league.
Baltimore Ravens 2012 Schedule:
Week 1: Cincinnati (Mon.)
Week 2: at Philadelphia
Week 3: New England
Week 4: Cleveland (Thur.)
Week 5: at Kansas City
Week 6: Dallas
Week 7: at Houston
Week 8: BYE
Week 9: at Cleveland
Week 10: Oakland
Week 11: at Pittsburgh
Week 12: at San Diego
Week 13: Pittsburgh
Week 14: at Washington
Week 15: Denver
Week 16: New York Giants
Week 17: at Cincinnati
Order your 2012 Baltimore Ravens Athlon Sports NFL Preview magazine
- The first three weeks of the 2012 season will be difficult for the Ravens to say the least. The year gets cranked up with a primetime Monday night affair with playoff team and division rival Cincinnati before a road trip to Phily and a home game against the New England Patriots. All three passing games should challenge the young corners and aging safeties of the Ravens. The good news? Three of the first four games of the year will come at home.
- Within the division, the Ravens' slate is somewhat unorthodox. Two of the first four games of the year will be home division games to be played on days other than Sunday. The Bengals' opener is on Monday night while the Week 4 contest against Cleveland is on Thursday night. That creates a very quick turn around after having to battle Tom Brady. It also means that four of the final six divisional games will be on the road, including the season finale against the Bengals. The season series with arch-rival Pittsburgh will also be intriguing. These two play some of the best games each and every year and Baltimore will face the Steelers twice in three weeks as the calendar flips to December. Making matters worse is a long road trip to San Diego slapped in between the two AFC North bouts.
- In NFC play, the Ravens will face the NFC East, creating more than one interesting match-up. The road game against the Eagles will be tough sandwiched between two key AFC contests. The Cowboys will come to town in mid-October. Baltimore also gets to welcome the defending Super Bowl champs to town in Week 16. And lastly, an inter-regional battle along the Baltimore-Washington Parkway should be fun for both fan bases. There are more than plenty juicy storylines in this round robin.
- In the AFC, Baltimore will play the AFC West this year. A raod trip to Kansas City and a home test against Oakland look like wins for the Ravens. The Broncos game at M&T Bank could be a Wildcard showdown in Week 15. And the extremely taxing cross-country trip to visit the always tricky Chargers is amplified by the fact that the Ravens must face the Steelers the week prior to and following the trip to San Diego. Both divisional rotations should provide some fireworks for the Ravens.
- The two floating games in 2012 are about as brutal as possible. New England and Houston could be considered the two favorites in the AFC this season and both are eyeing first-round byes. And Baltimore will have to face both — one at home (NE, Week 3) and one on the road (HOU, Week 7). Luckily, the Ravens get a much-needed off week following the trip down to Houston. In fact, the Week 8 bye falls nearly perfectly in the middle of the season and comes on the heels of one of the tougher seven-game stretches to open the season.
- Three of the last five games, all against major playoff contenders, will come at home.
Fantasy Focus: The Ravens DEF/ST used to be utterly unstoppable. While the unit has aged in recent years, it still will be one of the higher drafted DSTs of this year. But don’t bank on big numbers until after the bye week. Michael Vick, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Matt Schaub and Andy Dalton will all take aim at the Ravens' secondary in the first seven weeks. But after the break, the Ravens will have six straight quality match-ups to finish the fantasy regular season. Look to buy low with this unit at midseason.
2012 Athlon Sports NFL team-by-team schedule analysis:
Kansas City Chiefs
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
St. Louis Rams
Most Popular Articles
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get the latest news and find out what our Athlon Sports experts have to say each week.
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.