Beanie Wells (Hamstring) Questionable, But Should Play This Sunday
The Cardinals running back is listed as questionable, but has shown no ill effects at practice this week
By: Athlon Sports | 10/8/11, 8:07 AM EDT
Beanie Wells has been a fantasy football star this season. When's he's in the lineup, that is.
While Beanie has performed much better expected than his position this season (he's averaging over 5 yards a carry and has found the end zone five times in three games), he's also been a headache for his owners.
Two weeks ago, when the Arizona Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt had said all week that Beanie, who had tweaked a hamstring, was going to play. Then Sunday afternoon came around (Arizona was playing a late-afternoon game) and Beanie owners were scrambling to put in a back-up when news broke that he was sitting.
Then the same thing happened last week, with a much different result. All week, Beanie owners were wondering if he was going to play. Everything looked good, but they'd heard that before only to have to sit him.
Well, Beanie played last week and hung 138 yards and three touchdowns on the Giants.
And the rollercoaster ride continues this week, with the Cardinals officially listing Beanie as "Questionable", but it seems like all signs point to him playing. He has shown no ill effects this week and has missed no practice. And there have been no whispers that he is feeling anything other than good after his career day last week.
Our guess is that the Cards are just calling him questionable as a precautionary measure, given his history. It's still unclear (from a locker room standpoint) if it was a good decision for Beanie to take himself out of the game a couple weeks ago. But he went a long way in proving himself to his teammates with his performance against the Giants.
Will Beanie hang another 100+ yard and multi-TD game against a much better Minnesota run defense? Probably not, but Beanie is proving himself a must play this season when he's in the lineup.
Make sure you keep an eye on the inactive lists that come out Sunday at 10:30 eastern--thankfully the Cardinals are playing an early game at the Vikings. But it looks like all systems are go for Beanie in week 5.
Update, Oct 9, 7:46 am: Beanie has said that his hamstring is "99% normal." We'll take a chance that the 1% won't derail him. Get him in your lineups.
Most Popular Articles
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get the latest news and find out what our Athlon Sports experts have to say each week.
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.