2012 Major League Baseball Power Rankings for May 14
Athlon's weekly look at baseball's best and worst teams
By: Rich McVey | 5/14/12, 11:44 AM EDT
Each week during the season Athlon Sports looks at the best and worst baseball teams in the league. Here's our MLB Power Rankings for May 14, 2012.
1. Rangers—Firing on all cylinders once again.
2. Dodgers—Team’s worst fear: Matt Kemp leaves game injured.
3. Braves—Pitching was expected, but offense has been surprising.
4. Rays—10 of next 13 games vs. Blue Jays and Red Sox.
5. Orioles—At some point we have to start taking the O’s seriously.
6. Nationals—Tough loss at Cincinnati on Sunday allowing Reds to come back.
7. Yankees—David Robertson, Rafael Soriano splitting the closer’s job.
8. Cardinals—Go outside Central and get swept by Braves.
9. Reds—Making a charge behind former MVP Joey Votto.
10. Tigers—Can’t slump with Justin Verlander on the hill.
11. Blue Jays—Would be leading the AL Central, 2nd in West, but 4th in East.
12. Marlins—Walkoff granny by Giancarlo Stanton caps great week.
13. Indians—Derek Lowe is 5-1, 2.47 ERA; rest of starters: 8-11, 4.92.
14. Mets—David Wright still mashing at .400 clip.
15. Phillies—Hitters are 5th in NL in average, pitchers are 9th in ERA.
16. Giants—Six of Buster Posey’s last 15 starts have been at first base.
17. Diamondbacks—7-12 at home this season; 51-30 in 2011.
18. A’s—Bullpen ERA a run better than rotation’s.
19. Brewers—Starters are 2-2 with 2.51 ERA in May.
20. Angels—Lost two of three in key series at Texas.
21. Mariners—No. 1 and 2 hitters have combined to hit .221.
22. Red Sox—Improved April ERA of 5.54 to 4.38 so far in May.
23. Pirates—Andrew McCutchen hitting .448 in May, rest of team .190.
24. White Sox—No. 2 hitters are slugging .199.
25. Astros—Opponents are batting .207 over last seven days.
26. Rockies—Pitchers have a 6.19 ERA in May.
27. Royals—Batting average down, ERA up, but better record in May.
28. Cubs—One home run from Cubs outfielders this season.
29. Padres—Batting average improved from.215 in April to .234 in May.
30. Twins—Batting .184, slugging .272 this month.
Most Popular Articles
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Get the latest news and find out what our Athlon Sports experts have to say each week.
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.