British Open quoteboard
The last word from Royal St. Georges
By: Rob Doster | 7/18/11, 3:44 PM EDT
Clarke gives Northern Ireland three of the last six majors.
A sample of post-British Open commentary:
• “I have 294 messages, and the writing is far too small for me to look at them in this state, so I may look at them tomorrow at some stage and figure them out.” — Darren Clarke, after a night of celebrating his Open win
• “I feel a bit funny about putting stuff in the Claret Jug that shouldn’t be in there, so I’m a little bit more reserved as to what I should do. So there’s nothing in it as yet. That may not be the case as the week goes by, but at the moment there’s been nothing in there.” — Clarke, when asked if anything had found its way into the Jug while in his possession
“We're blessed to have obviously two fantastic players in Rory (McIlroy) and G-Mac (Graeme McDowell), and … the old guy coming along behind them … We have fantastic golf courses, we have fantastic facilities, but to have three major champions from a little small place in a short period of time, it’s just incredible.” — Clarke, on Northern Ireland’s recent run
• “Phil has been through an awful lot with Amy, and we have spoken quite a lot. He has turned into a very good friend of mine through thick and thin, and he said some very, very kind words to me there after the thing, which is great. And Amy is looking fantastic, as well.” — Clarke, who lost his wife Heather to breast cancer and has supported the Mickelson’s through Amy’s bout with the disease
• “My game is suited for basically every golf course and most conditions, but these conditions I just don’t enjoy playing in really. That’s the bottom line. I’d rather play when it’s 80 degrees and sunny and not much wind.” — Rory McIlroy after a frustrating Open weekend
• “I had to start trying to make birdies, and that's when I ended up making a couple bogeys.” — Phil Mickelson, whose 6-under start melted away with four back-nine bogeys
• “I hung in there all day, made some birdies on the back to get back in there and just unfortunately made the double-bogey on 14, which really just took all my momentum out.” — Dustin Johnson after another major disappointment
• “Dustin really doesn't think about a whole lot. I don't think he's going to be too worried about it. He's someone that gets over things pretty quickly. He's a great player. I love the way he plays the game. He can hit the ball a long ways, and I wouldn't worry about Dustin.” — fellow American Rickie Fowler
• “Very happy for Darren Clarke, well deserved win.” — post-Open tweet from Tiger Woods
Most Popular Articles
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.