Confessions of a Trade-a-holic, Part I
By: paul.hickey | 8/18/10, 11:51 AM EDT
"Hello, I'm Paul, and I'm a trade-a-holic."
That's me and the group at the beginning of my first fantasy football trade-a-holics meeting about two years ago. I now attend regularly. You see, I am, in fact, a fantasy football trade addict.
OK, while the above story is not entirely true, I can assure you that being a FF trade-a-holic is very real, and my actions over the last few years in my 10-team dynasty league likely define the word.
Name a player. There's a 70 percent chance he's been on my team. It's that bad, folks. I'm constantly tweaking and trying to improve my squad to get that edge on my competitors. In recent years I've become a big fan of going for value over production and trading for multiple pieces — being on the end of a deal that gets, say, two or three guys for one. It hasn't always worked out, as my team has been somewhat inconsistent since winning back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006. But things are looking up heading into 2010. My team, Independent George (all of my fantasy teams are named after Seinfeldreferences), is ready to win for years to come.
Here is a look into some of the moves I've made this offseason and what I plan on doing next ...
• January 2010: Traded Ahmad Bradshaw and the third overall rookie pick for Michael Turner. Pumped about this move as Turner looks headed for a legit bounce-back campaign.
• February 2010: Traded Knowshon Moreno and Dwayne Bowe for Cedric Benson, Percy Harvin and the fifth overall rookie pick.
• March-May 2010: Maneuvered my way into the first round several more times, then traded picks 5, 7 and 9 for the 2 (projected to be Ryan Mathews) and Darren Sproles.
• June 2010: Traded Brandon Jacobs for Heath Miller.
• July 2010: Traded Mike Wallace for a 2011 first-rounder, Marshawn Lynch and Antonio Bryant (before T.O. signing).
• August 2010: Traded Hakeem Nicks, Johnny Knox, Antonio Bryant and Louis Murphy for the fourth overall rookie pick, the 14th overall rookie pick, Austin Collie and Anthony Gonzalez, along with Stephen Tulloch.
Then, last week alone, I made three more trades:
• The 2011 first-rounder I got for Mike Wallace, and two more 2011 third-round picks, for the 11th overall rookie pick this year, Brian Hartline and Ramses Barden.
• Cedric Benson for Santonio Holmes.
• Donovan McNabb and the 14 I got in the Nicks deal, for the 8, 18 and 28 picks this year.
Where does that leave me? Well, for now, with the following roster:
Mathews (likely the second pick)
Spiller (likely the fourth pick)
PK - TBD
DB - TBD
Don't worry, though, I already have another trade in the works. I'm looking to deal the 8 and the 18 to move up to the 6 to take either Montario Hardesty or Demaryius Thomas.
I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, because of my addiction, my iPhone is busier than Adam Schefter's Blackberry.
Most Popular Articles
Contests & Promotions
Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing!
Enter the Athlon Sports Fantasy Racing game. Just head over to athlon.myfantasyracing.com and register for your chance to win a chance to watch a 2014 race from the grandstands. You'll also have a chance to win other amazing prizes such as an autographed Kyle Busch helmet.